Saturday, January 8, 2011

We caved

I completely forgot to upload the video of his reaction. But first some background on this.

We have been telling Kai for years that if he wanted a cell phone he would have to get a job and pay for it himself, of course as many parents with kids this age, the constant whining of, "mom, everyone else has one." Really started to get on our nerves. Back in July I upgraded my phone and gave Kai my original Mytouch phone. He was also wanting an iTouch so he could have music, but this is an anti apple home, so no iTouch, iPod or iAnything here. The MyTouch phone worked great for him being able to upload his music and being able to play his downloaded games where ever there is wireless, the only thing missing was the CIM card giving him text message and phone call capability. One thing that was great was that the phone has, I think all phone have this, without service from a carrier you can still make an emergency call to 911 if needed. Well we thought this was enough and worked great for months, until he continued to swipe my phone to text Auntie Whitney.

So early December he comes into our room, asking yet again, for the phone to work, he gave a pretty good reason why he should be able to have one too. "Mom, I have been thinking, since I get an allowance, that should cover the cost of the phone a month." Who can argue with that, but we all know I was not about to take him up on that. So after much push and pull on this, we caved, oh yes we caved. Just you all wait till your kids get to this age. Heck with the way technology is going, I wouldn't doubt kids get them more and more early. Anyway, off to the T-mobile store we went. They gave us the CIM card, upgraded our plan and we were set for the final Christmas gift. On a side note we did not get him a web package, we wanted to be sure that he would only have web access here at home or Grandma's where there is wireless and adults.

Christmas arrives, and Kai is hardly ever away from this phone. We told him we wanted the phone before he went to bed, because it was Christmas Eve and he didn't need to be playing games all night. This allowed us to enter the CIM card and set it up for him. Morning is here and after all the presents were opened, he started looking at some Hockey cards he got so I grabbed his phone and put it on the couch near where he was sitting, very sneaky. We had decided to send him a text to announce he now has a working phone. Of course I texted him and guess what, he didn't hear it. So I had to end up having to call the phone. This made me miss the beginning of his complete confusion. He heard the phone and looked down and looked up at me and down again a few times before he picked it up. That is where this video begins as he is stating, "A CALL?!"

So after the longest post ever on a reason I am posting a video...here you go. It's a little dark, but it was like 5:45 in the morning.

No comments: