Man has it been one busy and crazy couple of weeks.
Wednesday March 5 ~ Zoe has her 9 month check up and she weighed in at 16 lbs 6 oz and was 27 1/4 inches. I did not get her % for her age group due to the doctor trying to explain to me why he wanted to send Zoe to therapy. I had wanted to be sure that it was ok she was not eating jar food and going straight to table food. Not sure why I needed a doctor's reassurance, when I had done my research and everything I read stated she was getting all the nutrients she needed from breast milk for the 1st year, anything extra was considered practice. But I still asked about this, but he focused on the fact that she wasn't eating solids. He even mentioned that most breast fed babies are chubby! EXCUSE ME..she is not skin and bones. He then looked at the chart and said, well she gained a pound and a half since her last appt, almost shocked. Yea and that was all from mommy. I must be naive, I guess I was hoping this pediatrician would have been a little more educated when it came to breastfeeding. So I shrugged this off and left second guessing myself.
Thursday March 6Th ~ I happened to get an email stating there was a home in the area we wanted to move to eventually just listed. I take a look and quickly see it has everything we want. 3 car garage, 4 bedroom, finished basement, and a front porch. Jason takes a look and likes it as well and so I send it to a friend to pull the specifics for us.
Friday March 7Th ~ I get a call from Jason at work saying he and Kenny are going to take a look at it. He calls me back about 2 hours later and says he wants it, he loves it that much. So I told him go for it, but I still wanted to take a look too. So I set up a time to meet Jessica and Denver Saturday to see it.
Saturday March 7Th ~ I go and see the house with the kids and Terri meeting Jessica and Denver there. I really like it as well and tell them we want it. So they will run with it. Zoe has a fever it goes on all day between 102.1 to 100.6, but she is happy for the most part.
Sunday March 8Th ~ Zoe still has the fever and is just not happy today.
Monday March 9Th ~ Fever is still there ranging off and on so we set an appointment for 1:00. Jason stayed home with her during this time because both of my managers were off in Vegas at a convention so it was just me holding down the fort and it was busy. We get to her appointment and she has no ear infection and it is just some fever. So he says give it a couple of days.
Tuesday March 10Th ~ Kai had Karate and then we had to meet with the Fiance guy, Ned to discuss all our options and sign off on the options for this house. We also meet with Denver to sign the paperwork to make an offer on the house. Work was crazy busy and we did not get home till 8:30. Zoe's fever was gone, but there was a new sickness lurking.
Wednesday ~ I get a call from Tiff asking if I am giving Zoe anything because Zoe was just screaming and crying non-stop. I start to worry that maybe she has a blocked bowel or something because she did get a hold of Fury's rawhide bone and was not sure if maybe she swallowed a piece. So I leave crazy work and make an appointment to get her back to the Dr. office. This has to be the worst experience of my life...I meet with the Dr. and he says he really isn't sure what is wrong with her, but from the exam was sure it wasn't any blockage. He agreed that she didn't look like she was feeling good. So he mentioned giving her the BRAT diet, and I said if she will take it. He said is that because she isn't wanting any solids right now...so I explained how we put it in front of her and if she eats it she eats it I don't force it. He says "Oh babies over 6 months need to be eating solids in addition to breast milk." I tell him that was not true, it is more like practice if they take it. He tells me "OH NO" and starts to explain something when I tell him well according to the La Lache League they...he completely cuts me off and slams his hands on his knees and raises his voice "THE LA LACHE LEAGUE" as if they had done something to him specifically...he goes onto say how he use to run some hospital here in Denver and that he say many babies admitted failing to thrive. How he completely disagreed. He gets up and says something about how he La Lache League makes him mad..I don't even know. I was in such shock, I was tongue tied. I didn't know what to say. I started to try and debate this with him and discuss how back when..he cuts me off and says they fed their babies solids, so I raised my voice and said...I DIDN'T say I don't feed her solids. He pretty much ends the appointment and says well if she is still not better tomorrow call us and we will see if we need to see her. I asked if they were going to charge me a co-pay again..I was mad that he didn't really help but insulted me. Of course he said they would and pretty much left. Needless to say I will never go there again.
A quote from a great help to breastfeeding mothers kellymom:
A lot of babies are slow to take to solids. It's not uncommon for some babies to take several months once solids have been introduced before they really take to them well. Babies who are slow to teethe and babies who have food sensitivities are often the ones who are slower to begin eating solids. This "slowness" may be their bodies' way of protecting them until the digestive system is more ready to accept new foods.
Rest assured that as long as you baby is continuing to gain weight and grow as she should, your milk is meeting her needs well. Solids during the first year should only *complement* your milk anyway. Your milk should still be the primary source of nutrition for most of the first year.
All you need to do is to continue to *offer* foods. Don't worry if she's not interested or takes very small amounts. Your only true responsibility is what you offer and when you offer it, not whether or not baby eats it. That has to be up to her. Trying to force, coax, cajole, etc. her into eating is never recommended.
Some babies prefer to eat foods that they can pick up and feed themselves, rather than foods that must be spooned to them. A lot of babies, also, would rather have food right off the table than the blander-tasting baby foods. Try offering your baby a variety of finger foods during family mealtime.
You may also find that it's helpful to make finger foods readily available throughout the day, so that baby can "graze" often. Some parents keep a variety of foods out in an ice cube or muffin tray. Small children often need to take in several smaller snacks throughout the day rather than eating 3 large meals.
If you are still reading this I am very impressed. I told you it was a crazy busy week.
Too top it all off I had to rush home because the house we put an offer on accepted, but counter offered wanting $5000.00 more then what we offered. We had to sign off on the counter offer ASAP because if we didn't they were going to accept other offers and we would lose the house. A lot of people wanted this house. THERE WAS GREAT NEWS! I made it home in time, we signed the counter offer and the house is ours. So now we are moving forward with getting all the financing, inspection and all other things done. We were going to sell the house, but we are not looking at renting. We will close on the new house April 30Th. Kai had La Cross practice so Jason had to rush to pick him up.
Thursday March 13Th ~ I have to work from home because Zoe had a horrible night. I slept maybe an hour and a half of uninterrupted sleep. She has a stomach flu, so had horrible cramping and all she could do was cry and cry. It was horrible. Working from home was minimal but when she slept I worked. She had a few bad moments but by evening she was good. Kai had La Cross practice so it made for another late night.
Friday March 14Th ~ Zoe is great.
Ok I am done. I wish I had a picture to post of the new house but not yet. Hope you enjoyed reading about the craziest week ever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
wow, you did have a crazy week! i like how you said, "if you are still reading this...im impressed!". hope ya'll are having a great time in vt and looking forward to pics!!
Post a Comment